Tuesday, May 21, 2013

This is what my DD wrote on her blog.  I wanted to share this because we had many happy times

We used to roller skate in the basement.
Play Barbies in the yard on warm summer days.
I was furious (at the age of 5, tops) at my parents for cutting down a tree to build a giant garage.
I loved, however, our yellow metal swingset.
The day we brought our puppy home. I was 5. My parents got her because they were worried I was too shy.
The window box on the front of the house.
Sharing a room with my sister, briefly when my youngest sister was born.
Holidays.
My 16th surprise birthday party.  I can't remember much (it's just been too long) But somehow we all ended up covered in cake.
My dad teaching me to shoot a B.B. gun at cans lined up on the old swing set (I was 10-ish here).
The year they started to build behind my parents house and our backyard flooded during winter and I could ice skate in the yard.
Playing board games with my family after dinner. Yahtzee was a family favorite.
Family movie nights. Specifically: Back to the Future (s), Lethal Weapon (s), Holiday movies
Hearing my dad watching reruns of MASH when I went to bed.
Hearing my mom in the kitchen. I could always tell by the sound on Sunday morning which breakfast we were having:  scrambled eggs or blueberry muffins.  Once in a while, pancakes.
Pierogi day.
The Christmas Santa brought us a Nintendo. 
Graduations.
My mother's gardens.
Building model trains with my dad.
Countless Girl Scout meetings.
Hiding in the rafters of the garage reading
Sitting outside looking at the moon through my new telescope.
New Year's Eve.

Every family cookout on the screened in back porch.
The fact that the elderly neighbor always cut his lawn the days we had a family cookout on the back porch.
The fact that, for a few years, we lived in that neighbors house, next to my childhood home.
And my kids got to, for a little bit, live near their grandparents.

Goodbye house!  A really happy family lived there.

No comments:

Post a Comment